Thread: Shiko Training
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #86
Timothy WK
United_States
Re: Shiko Training

Josh, slow down, man, it's hard to keep up with everything you're writing.

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post
Did you buy the book [Anatomy Trains]?
No, I've mostly just read the website. The material seems pretty good, but nowhere near perfect, for "showing" or explaining all the internal stuff. But I think it's nice for quick and easy explanations like I've given here.

Quote:
I remember reading about the following... in my mind this is the 'tomei no chikara' the body is to be capable of. Clear path. Clear power.
It talked about how in the human body there mostly are vertical lengths of undifferentiated fascial channels...It talked about how the horizontal ones can cause problems for people, when they slouch, or otherwise assume postural distortions known as 'common compensation patterns'.
The, uh, let's call them "common break points" are an issue, but not what (I think) you're talking about. The idea of "clear power" is related, but not quite the same thing.

I don't want to seem like I'm blowing you off, but this is really a topic unto itself, and to fully explain it would require more time and energy than I have to spend right now. If you look around this site and a few other sites, you can find more info.

Quote:
Among other things:
I think what you are talking about is an exercise targeted to activate and control a line thru the gluteus medius.
Uh, maybe, probably, I'm not sure. I'm not very good with individual muscles.

But the exercise is a lot bigger than just one muscle. You first have to develop what is sometimes called "connection", which relates to the ability to "convey" force through muscle/fascia, rather than "create" force like we normally do with muscle. Once you learn to do that, and get all the various muscle-fascia lines "linked up", then you can start learning to coordinate them all together. The exercise I outlined is aimed at developing a particular type of coordination.

Again, that starts getting into a different---and big---topic.

Quote:
I think of this as 'the effective load'. What do you think?
I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but I wasn't talking about "load". When you begin to develop the internal stuff, you actually begin to experience some weird, pseudo-mystical feelings, such as "stuff" moving around though the body or under the skin. There are a couple (physiological) theories about why that happens, but there are no hard answers right now.

--Timothy Kleinert