View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #15
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: Fight, run? Some Abstract Musings

I guess I am reminded of a Christopher Li post. One book was translated as "Invincible Warrior." The Japanese used could be translated as "A warrior without enemies." If a phrase could mean "don't be in a position to be attacked" it could mean run away.

It might mean walking further out around a corner so that you have a few feet to see and react. It might mean if a friend can't hold his alcohol and he gets violent when he drinks, I might ask him not to drink or meet him at an alcohol free venue, or reconsider the value of the friendship. It might mean lock the doors. It might mean stand behind the counter, or stand far enough that an attacker needs to take a full step. It might mean buy a dog, or not take a drink from a stranger, or take a few steps back when "my spider sense is tingling." I do walk where the street lights shine when I walk to the parking lot. And, we do leave work walking in groups. We have security available to walk people to their cars - most people just feel too foolish to use them.

The Gracie family had a great video on the Knockout game, following one's instincts and doing a threat assessment in the environment.

Yes, there are surprises out there. In a hospital environment, post-incident analysis showed most "surprises" (heart attacks, strokes, respiratory failure) actually had indicators appearing as much as 8 hours before. Is behavior really less predictable all the time?

I have had to ask myself what I did before a violent confrontation, not merely what I did when things had already escalated to that point. Great information out there on deescalation techniques which somehow are not part of any dojo workout I have seen yet.

Fight and flight are primal instincts, base responses. These are not trained responses or strategies when the phrase is used in psychology; these are panic.