View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 02:35 AM   #7
mike lee
ouch!

One always has to be prepared for the possibility that one will encounter an attacker with a high pain threshold. (I've met a number of women in aikikdo, for example, who can take unimaginable amounts of pain.) There's also the possibility that an attacker may be on drugs or alchohol, and/or may be so pumped up on adrenalin that something will break before he feels or gives into pain. (If one does break an attacker's bone, one could be held legaly liable.)

It took me a long time to learn to make yonkyo very painful. For some reason, I just couldn't figure it out. Then the teacher told me that, actually, the pain factor was unnecessary, and that it was physical postioning that was crucial. So, I parcticed for some time, just concentrating on getting the overall movement down, and not worrying about delivering a lot of pain to my uke. (Like all other aikido waza, it's basically a hara exercise; that is, nage learning to move uke's hara.) Eventually, I became more relaxed and confident in my movement (my shoulders and elbows came down and may arms remained extended, extending ki), and I figured out how to make yonkyo painful.

Now I emphasize this same path to my students, believing that one day, they will figure it out.

Finally, I believe that it's unnessary for experienced aikidoists to repeatedly deliver extremely painful yonkyo during practice. I think that once or twice is enough. After that severe brusing can set in, making it difficult to type on a computer the next day. ( I work on a computer eight hours a day, five days a week.)

Last edited by mike lee : 01-23-2003 at 02:39 AM.