View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #380
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Demonstrating aiki, demontrating aikido.Same thing ?

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
From what you say, it's clear you've never experienced what people are referring to.
Ah. NOW, I see. "The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao...."??

You may note that when Laotzu got fed up with idiot warlords telling him they know exactly how to govern the country -- just about five minutes before each of them got overthrown by the next rival upstart -- where did HE go? -- He went to the WEST... Hey! There's an idea! Who bested who in the really important martial contests of the last two centuries or so ?
East or West ?

"Maybe there's something to this magister's "physicks," after all, O Sublime One...."

Quote:
Chris has laid it out very well.
As far as "matching" mechanical and physiological terms, I think you're missing the boat.

How do you know they "match"?
A mystic AND a skeptic? Wonders never cease.

How do you know where your hand is without looking? ... I know. That's how I know. Both literally -- and figuratively.

Consider it a Western koan -- my gift to you. Mind you, I borrowed it from Kant, so could you give it back to him in not too battered condition, if you don't mind, you know, whenever your done with it ?

Quote:
The point here is that your ideas explain some mechanical things, but it's not IP/IS or aiki.
... and to which I rejoin the same question "How do you know?"

Koan. A marvelous thing, that ...

Quote:
You need experience much more than anyone here needs your "explanations."
It is fascinating to witness a mind that places a science-denying conspiracy-theorist, ideologue, nude model and unfunny comedienne --- in the same category as someone trying to put a poorly described but effective eastern physical practice into valid western mechanical and physiological terms, using, like, you know big scary science words 'n stuff.

Funny is in the eye of the beholder -- but really, I'm not as pretty as she is. Ask Jon, he'll vouch for me ...

Flying airplanes is equal parts intellectual grasp of often counter-intuitive physical principles as it is intuitive physical performance according to those principles -- and nobody with any sense of self-preservation denies the importance of BOTH of them -- and most of those that ever did, ended up in a scorched crater somewhere.

Tell you what -- I'll strike my balance, and you strike yours? Deal?

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.