View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #113
DH
United_States
Re: Using ki-skills for "aiki" in Daito-Ryu

Quote:
Dan Austin wrote: View Post
Really. Is this the sort of enlightening dialogue "talk about the skills, not the man" leads to?
Dan
I imagine Rob is hesitant about talking above his skill level. Structure, connection, use of connection in movement comes first, then skills in using in / yo ho to support the body in movement, and in the mix, breath power is trained as it enhances- and in it's own way manipulates- and adds to connecting the whole body. Actually most of that training never stops.

FWIW
I'm 6', 218lb. I think you-like so many people miss the point of weight or size in assessing skill. I have had it work for me in just the opposite situation many times. Most in particular with ICMA guys, who looking at me, made assumptions-from my background and size-that they were dealing with a big, muscular, grappling meathead. In so doing it has been delightful to have seen them make some rather hilarious mistakes in pre-judging what they were going to get by way of feel.
You see, softness and ability to manipulate, absorb, redirect and change and slam very fast in movement is NOT to be judged by size, Dan. It is to be judged by training and experience. Regardless of size you can feel softness at a touch. You can't fake it, and you don't get to mask it by technique. In fact it can be shown strictly by absorbing and redirecting without ever once pouring it on or hitting. And that said...on any other day a small guy could be better than me and tune me with the same skills. Of the various advantages available- size wouldn't make it to my top ten. In fact the guy who impressed me most...wasn't big at all.

Since the thread was originally about DR I think its worth suggesting again that folks go out and feel. For those looking for internal power / aiki-DR needs to be sorted out by schools.