Thread: Dojo Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
Elaine Adams
Dojo: Takehaya Dojo
Italy
Re: Dojo Etiquette

Thanks for all your input and hi Angela!

I found the other thread after I had started this one, some interesting information. Is the no colour belt system the most prevalent then?

Yeah, yeah, when in Rome, I laid myself open to that one, lol.

The simple answer to all the newness seems to be the one I get from any question I pose regarding aikido. Practice, practice, practice, and patience, patience patience. Oh, and practice patience.

I don't know if it's because one is naturally more biased towards the system one starts with, but I do prefer the coloured belts for their "at-a-glance" convenience. We seem to get a lot of visitors, naturally enough being one of the most popular tourist spots in the world, and with our international relations with other organisations, and unless they are shodan, it's not easy. Also, personally, I hate being treated with kid gloves "Make me fly!". It's also helpful when you are lost in a technique. If there are no black belts around, you can look for a higher grade to help.

Is there a lot of disparity between grades in different organisations? Sure, I have heard of people buying black belts in disreputable ones, but apart from that? Do none of the governing bodies standardise and liaise internationally?

How did the system of coloured belts originate?