View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States
Re: Winning vs. Not Losing

Greetings, Seiser Sensei,

Once again, I find you both generous and kind with your words of agreement.

May I also add that your contributions augment your obvious passion for original interpretations of Aikido, and its role in today’s search for meaning and answers.
I enjoy and appreciate your work.

In terms of the seeming antagonism of the notions of “winning” vs. “not losing”, is it possible to also appreciate the potential of their being mutually complementary to each other, owing their significance and potential to the possibly beneficial impact they can have on the other. In this way, we can imagine a co-existence of sorts which we may find useful, as we deal with concepts, things and people we have yet to reach agreement, and harmonious accord with, at least for now.

By choosing to “not lose” our hard won core values in times of stress and confrontation, we may even dare to redefine “winning” by using applicable Aiki Principles to discover common grounds for agreement and accommodation, even while remaining in respectful disagreement on other issues. Can this become a means for us to use the Aiki toolbox in more constructive ways, agreeing to disagree at times, yet with an eye ever on the prize of peaceful co-existence and the mutual allowance of rightful expression.

Perhaps we actually can achieve both “winning”, and “not losing”, by resolving to remain respectful and sincere in our regard and treatment of one another in all phases of our existence.

In oneness,