View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #15
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Strength Comparisons between Men and Women

And another comment since I spent 17 years working in skills testing... I remember someone telling me that it is wrong to discriminate between two people based on a non-relevant criterion. However, the whole point of a test is to discriminate between two people. I.e., to tell them apart, to separate them. The question of validity of a measure is based on whether the criterion or criteria chosen are relevant to the task.

Strength is certainly a relevant criterion for succeeding in a "fight". Now the question becomes how you define a fight, how you define combat, and how you define success. Each of those decisions in how you define those things greatly affects the "weight" strength might have in determining outcome. So when folk bring up things like stealth, experience, etc. those mitigate the effects of strength as a factor. Of course. The bigger question is how you define things and how much you have to be better at all the other stuff to overcome the differential in strength.

I have no problem thinking many of the female sensei I've known could handle themselves against an average Joe. It is tougher when we start talking about two people of equal ability but of unequal strength. Strength can matter a great deal. To dismiss it is silly.