View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #444
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: Aikido: The learning of natural movement

I share Mike's philosophy of practicing only what you are realistically likely to use (well, to some extent; I don't intend ever to kill anyone if I can help it...but even skills capable of being lethal can be adjusted to be non-lethal; and sometimes one must learn the whole thing just to have a full comprehension of the lesser thing). For that reason, I've never been as much "into" practicing classical weapon arts and I do not pursue them passionately today. However, it is part of my foundation and I spent some years in that training before moving on. What I learned there still affects my movement and comprehension of empty-hand disciplines I pursue today.

Thus, I would point out that there is much of value in such arts (btw, don't confuse them with sport versions such as kendo or Western fencing) because they do teach you how to move from the hara (dantien) and to move as a unified body, among other things. There is much to be gleaned from classical sword. In the ancient koryu, one started learning with larger weapons and gradually graduated to smaller ones and ultimately to empty hand. The principles are applicable across the board, adjusted to suit the size and purpose of each weapon, or the unarmed combatant.

Pracitioners of Ono-ha Itto-ryu, TSKSR, Yagyu Shinkage-ryu and other old classical weapons systems gain a very different experience than practitioners of kendo or fencing. The sword skills, while archaic, are appreciated as art forms unto themselves, but also as vehicles to learning principles useful for other, more modern applications -- with or without a weapon.

Cutting silk, watermelons, trees, etc. -- like karateka breaking boards -- are just "games" and demonstration exercises. They are not representative or indicative of the content of the art itself.

Last edited by Cady Goldfield : 12-05-2006 at 11:17 AM.