View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
C. David Henderson
United_States
Re: about training capacity

Hi Mohamed,

I didn't think you were trying to start an argument, but I suspect we still may not be communicating very well.

Quote:
Mohamed Salah wrote: View Post

This is exactly why I posted, I want to know which steps to take to minimize the injuries as much as I can
When you've fallen tens of thousands of times, you'll know "in your body" and instinctively. Until you have more experience, I suggest the best way to avoid injury is probably communicating with your partner and telling them to take it easy.

BTW, from your description, their learning likely would be better served that way too.

Quote:
I can fall, I just do not know how to mimic a wrongful throw fall
Well, since I haven't seen you practice, I obviously don't have good information on how you fall.

Still, I'd suggest that over time practicing your falls, even if just standard rolls, should help you protect yourself better against the unexpected. More than just that, you also asked about exercise outside of class.

Practicing your falls is a form of physical conditioning as well as skills practice, and one specific to this activity.

Falling is also the context in which a person's body is subjected to a large proportion of the physical stress associated with aikido.

I find it useful to develop both more skill and better physical conditioning to deal effectively with that stress, just as you earlier developed the skill and conditioning needed to be a power lifter.

Try this -- do around 50 forward rolls without stopping, going back and forth from one side to another. Do it a few times a week for a few months. See what happens.

Quote:
No No, Sir I was not going to rel[]y on power replacing a wrong move to give it an authentic look; I was counting on escaping from a wrong move using it.
Power to me means "The Power to Escape" not to "The Power to turn it over"
If this is still what you're trying to find, perhaps some of the difficulty I'm having is the word "power" in this context. Given you're background, it seems you're referring to the physical strength you developed lifting.

Sometimes I probably do have the "power to escape" a technique in that sense simply because I'm stronger than a particular partner.

To me, it usually makes more sense to talk about the "ability" to escape (or reverse), not "power."

Anyway, take care of yourself.

David Henderson