View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #21
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Making Kote Gaeshi Work - With Resistance

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
Popping someone in the head first before applying a technique does what? Breaks the uke's structure... When you "create an opening" you are just "de-structuring" someone BEFORE you apply a lever which means leverage is seconardy in importance. I'm sorry if I'm belaboring this point. I've been primarily communicating to a 4 year old and I'm developing a habit of breaking things down to simpler and simpler terms.

Rob
popping someone in the head or anywhere else may I'd may not create instability. In my early "yang" years around 1980 I wrote an article in "Survival Magazine". Part of the article demonstrated how structure could jam a front thrusting kick and uproot the kicker perhaps damaging his rear knee in the process. My stomach was developed for that purpose but my low back pain definitely prevented me from becoming awesome with such skill.

Still, in the mid 1990's during the earlly UFC craze, one competitor was perturbed that I had ground skills and once we stood up again, he plugged me by surprise in the gut with a short fist. This time I kept structure and let both feet "ungrip" the floor. It moved me about 2" straight back and there was no penetration.

In the early 2000's I started to get good with standing rooted and absorbing blows with relaxed energy that absorbed the force without losing stability.

Now days I prefer to just ride the energy with posture and Tai Chi style weight shift, the five style step and a bit of Baqua circle.

All of these forms of energy can neutralize a punch or kick.

But if you stretch out your arms and try to catch a 240 pound weight your stability is going to go down the tubes unless you are the incredible hulk. A good KG canpriduce enough force to overwhelm in the same manner as long as you are accurate. Far enough away to maximize stress on the structure yet close enough to keep joe's feet glued to the ground via friction.