View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #35
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Defending Against Grappler Using Aikido

Thanks for the Clarification Phil. It was confusing.

Ironically, we in the Army moved away from KM type training as our base. Many reasons and it would take a while to go into it. Bottomline, it was not the best system for a weapons based army, nor did it do a good job of building macro muscle memory.

Remember when you have weapons at your disposal you create distance and use them. When you don't have that distance, every fight is a grappling fight. Either grappling for dominance to control, grappling to create distance to employ weapons, or grappling over weapons.

FWIW, when I say grappling, it does not imply "ground fighting" or "going to the ground". It includes a range of standup stuff to include pummelling, takedowns, and other stuff you see in stand up fights.

The threat or presence of weapons increases the grappling dynamic actually at close range. No one is really interested in the street fight scenario of trading blows.

Even in a street fight, I really am not too interested in trading blows. I hate getting hit, and I hate hitting as it hurts to hit skulls and things with your bare hands. I tend to like to either be in the fight...or out of the fight. I don't like in between when either I am hitting which means he can hit too! Move in (or out), gain control, subdue, and move out of range or on to the next thing.