View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 06:14 AM   #37
MM
United_States
Re: Reeling Silk Verbatim

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
LOL, well, that's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Quote:
We're too selfish to be kind
Quote:
the reception and manners have been very rude
Quote:
We're not very good hosts
Quote:
Aikido people have a really big chip on their shoulder
Quote:
I know there are a lot of dip-shits out there
Quote:
being stolen by assholes
If you don't have something nice to say ... hmmm ...

My apologies, Jennifer Smith, but I just had to post that. And it isn't as if I don't fall into the pot-kettle category either. I do. At times, I think we all do.

But, some people here posted some funny comments that were not directly related to your initial post. It was off topic and in a good natured fun kind of way. Least that's how I took it. Some posts were about how your initial post could be connected to reeling silk. We are, after all, in the "Non-Aikido" forums. As Mike said, if you had posted in the open section, I don't think there would have been any confusion.

Sometimes, we're a serious lot and the margin for "BS" is small. Even Ueshiba was known for his temper and outbursts.

This "reeling silk" thing is a serious and hard worked skill, so I'm told. Me, I couldn't reel silk even if someone gave me a fishing pole. Still, it doesn't detract from the fact that other people have had this skill and have shown it successfully. There are a few tales and video of Wang doing some neat things. Robert Smith (I think) wrote some in his Martial Musings book. Youtube has small clips of Wang. He's just one example.

And then when something is posted about farting golden clouds or feeling ki from fifty feet away, the "BS" meter goes off. It flies against all known accounts of those who really do have this "reeling silk" ability.

And from personal experience, feeling ki from fifty feet away is a joke compared to what you can really do with "reeling silk". No personal attack intended with anyone who does feel ki from fifty feet away. As with all those "aiki bunnies", if they're gaining something from their training, more power to them. But if they post on the web, it's a public forum where everyone gets a say. They might extol the wonders of feeling ki from fifty feet away, but just as they can extol the wonders, so can I say it's a joke. If they have problems with that, maybe they should look inside themselves for why.

All IMO,
Mark