View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #108
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Is your Aikido as a Martial Art up to Reality?

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote: View Post
So while it is true that Tony may have to deal with some of the rougher folks due to his job, it does not mean that only people in his position need to approach training this way. A lot of what is "realistic" depends on where you live and your daily experiences. You may not need to learn how to deal with severe violence because of where you live, but unless you can guarantee that life will always be that way it may be a valid point to consider at some level, especially if you are putting in all these hours in training. Ignorance of reality does not protect one from it ime.

Just some thoughts.

Best
LC
Good thoughts, Larry! I think they're perfectly fitting with my post about the relatively different needs and goals we all have. To my mind it's an odds game. Even the safest place on the planet can play host to murder...and given a long enough timeline, I'd say it will. I may have been describing the relative dangers as a means of defending less-serious practices, but I would never say danger cannot find us in a "safer" area. I would also argue everyone could/"should" stand a little education in the baser forms of reality...particularly people in relatively wealthy, comfortable situations like mine...and I grew up in an elevated crime area (nothing hugely dangerous, but enough to generate an awareness for certain behaviors). My wife, as an example, is fairly oblivious to certain things I pick up on much more quickly. When we drive through the city i will spot the drug deals and the guy walking around with the knife "concealed" in his hand. This is also why I tend to make the point that "real" self-defense has very little to do with an ability to fight, though I also think everyone should have some idea about what to do in one because I recognize the fact that we all have a blind-side (i.e. the best awareness will eventually miss something).
The question is to what degree we want to address that (hopefully low) probability of attack. That's a personal call. I believe my style of Aikido just happens to be effective, but I came to it looking for moving meditation. If others were to hypothetically train in a style that only works on having a calm mind (a good skill to practice in its own right), that's their right to do so. If they think it's more than it is, all i can say is we all suffer from the same problem: not knowing what we don't know and I refer everyone to my personal quote.
Tony's basic point is a good one, but it includes some presumptive language that I think detracts from his otherwise great message.
Take care,
Matt

Last edited by mathewjgano : 03-02-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Gambarimashyo!