View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Gun Crimes

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote: View Post
If this were the number #1 concern for equality, I'd say that you have a point. In any case, equality is better served in insuring that all ppl have it, rather than arming yourself.
Some people are born big and strong, while others weak and sickly. And youth has the advantage physically over the old. Those are inequalities. If insuring that all people are equal is your goal, then arming everyone is a sure way to even out those differences.

Quote:
Considering the downsides of gun ownership (increased injury to others, etc), however; I'd also say that owning a firearm is hardly a qualifier, for equality. I am far, far more concerned about the inequalities of economics, race, and governmental interference on my civil liberties, than I am about owning a weapon that can just as easily be used against me in a struggle.
The "downsides" to owning a fire arm are no different then the downsides of owning a vehicle. In fact many more people are killed yearly by automobiles then firearms. We justify owning vehicles because they make our lives more livable. Why would you not justify something that is just as necessary in a crisis situation?

If fear of "governmental interference on your civil liberties" is a concern of yours, how is letting the government take away your right to defend yourself helping your plight?