View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
reza.n
Dojo: Ali Dojo
Iran
Re: Is your training effective or just killing time?

I divide training into three groups:
basics (ikkyo undo (zengo, shiho, happo [suwaru & tatsu]), taisabaki & sabaki kata)
techniques
Ken & Jo

The basics may look simple and easy, but I believe after few years of practicing aikido I should take a session or two in a month to do them again and again (50 to 100 times each). Most friends in dojo hate it but I know still it's not enough!
And for the techniques, I know my uke & I should perform a techniques for few times from Hidari Hanmi and then Migi Hanmi respectively, and I escape some of it and now I can't perform some techniques with my left hand properly and it's not good at all.
I escape the individual ken and jo in dojo and I rather practice them at home, Ken no awase, Jo no awase, kumitachi and tachidori are for dojo. of course I believe in ken and jo basics like tai sabaki and etc. so I force myself to do at least 150 to 300 kirikaeshi (suwaru, tatsu & shikkodachi) each week.

I believe the more is better and of course every time it's possible must double check every small and trivial things with sensei.

I don't always practice aikido
but when I do, I really do