View Single Post
Old 07-27-2002, 08:28 AM   #21
Carl Simard
Just to make a comparison, do you think it make sense to tell that MA (not only aikido) are to self-defense what painting is to photography ?

If you do painting (by the way, it's also usually refered as an art), you don't pass your time asking "Do my painting really represent reality ?" or "This particular technique is useless to represent reality". Usually, your fisrt goal isn't to make a perfect representation of reality. You will not tell yourself "Why do I study painting all these years if I can't make a correct representation of reality ?"... If you start painting to make accurate reproduction, you simply choose the wrong thing, even if a very talented painter with years of training can come close to a photographic quality... A painter paiting with only "exact reproduction" in his head is missing all what painting can give...

On the other hand, you can get a 10$ disposable camera, take shots in minute and will get a more accurate reproduction of reality and be more useful at that than years of painting study. It will not be artistic at all, but il will do the job... Somewhat like self defense: the goal isn't to make it look good, stay in balance, keep your center and do a nice fluid movement. The goal is to end the fight the fastest way possible, no matter how you do it...

Just my 2 cents...