View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #43
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: teaching the blind

As a dojocho you will have to decide to handle these precarious situations. Who do you allow to enter the dojo? Ultimately that defines who you are, what you stand for. Tough choices.

Some mention to maximise their training. I can somewhat relate to this and understand the context in which it is said. However, martially spoken this makes no sense. Combat (man 2 man) is about efficiency: take the other out quickly with the least effort possible. A handicapped person has very little chance to survive.

The strengths of handicapped persons may lie elsewhere and can be very useful. Visually impaired people very often have improved hearing, better sense of touch. Others may be good organisers, motivators. So I agree everybody has his merits.
I recently saw a Stan Lee superhuman documentary. It portrayed a blind person being able to ride a bicycle. The man uses echolocation (much like bats). Really really impressive. It shows what humans are capable off. Would he stand a chance in the Tour? I seriously doubt it. Is that important? By all means NO!

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl