View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #33
"Kei Thrace"
IP Hash: 2304f9b4
Anonymous User
Re: Injuries in aikido

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
In terms of responsibility, I'd say it is 1/3 uke, 1/3 nage, and 1/3 the teacher's responsibility. I think the teacher really needs to make sure that students are able to do the ukemi required for the sort of training undertaken in that class and to make an effort to bring the ukemi of all students up to scratch.
Do you mean individual teachers, or the teaching philosophy as exemplified by the dojo leadership? Because I don't think those are the same thing at this dojo. I daresay there's a fair bit of attention paid to ukemi at my (now former) dojo. In a typical class, warm-ups are followed by 5-10 minutes of rolls (forward, backward, barrel) in unison. This is separate from the ukemi shown for each technique. And then once a week there's a class unofficially focused on ukemi.

So I think it's not simply a lack of ukemi training, but perhaps a failure to emphasize nage's responsibility for a safe landing, and failure to enforce this type of care. Or I guess another way of saying it is that being sensitive to your partner's ability level is not something that's consistently emphasized at this place. If causing injury is treated as a non-event, then people will keep muscling thru techniques and throwing their ukes without concern for damage. And furthermore, some people have been promoted beyond their ability to take safe ukemi (3rd kyu who can't take a forward roll consistently on the left), so they are a danger to themselves and others. Lots of safety issues, all around.

As for the incident that spawned my original query (-ies): I would say up to the time I got injured, I was doing fine for my level. Ukemi (including breakfall variation) for koshi nage and mae kaiten ukemi without putting hands down are are among the skills required for 2nd kyu and up. I'm familiar with the idea of looking out for oneself - say, taking an extra hop before a forward roll, or tugging on nage's hand to gain a little extra rotation. As a smaller uke I've had to figure out ways to scrub some energy off a throw if I think my partner's thrown me too hard, or how to hang on when paired with someone who tends to drop me instead of throwing me with useful energy. I don't say I'm an expert at self-preservation, but I'm learning. - Even then, even if I take, say, a textbook breakfall, there are still times when a throw rattles my brains, because I just don't have the mass to redistribute all that energy as well as someone who outweighs me by 80-100 lbs, or who is taller/thicker/wider.

And even with constant work on ukemi, I do think there are a few techniques where there's a split-second where you put yourself completely in nage's control - such as some versions of koshi, where uke is no longer touching the ground and uke may not have hands free to break their fall. This was one of those instances. It wasn't koshi, but basically I was flying blind and nage dropped me on my head, where there wasn't enough air time for me to complete my rotation. If I had been suspicious of my nage - if this had been a street fight, I guess - I would have held on for dear life, and probably pulled us both down with him on top of me. But I wouldn't have landed on my head. Instead I relaxed and curved into the roll that I thought was coming. But the ground (that I couldn't see, because I was curled against nage) was six inches too close.

(I should note also that this was during a test and it was an unusual technique. Nage said to me, as we bowed in, "I don't know what to do with this one." So he wasn't performing a kihon throw, because he didn't recognize the waza, and I didn't know what, if any, kihon ukemi existed.)

I never thought someone - much less an instructor and high-ranked black belt - at my dojo, which was like my second home, would be so careless as to toss me without looking. I didn't think I was walking into a great unknown. Up until then I thought everyone I trained with was a friend on the mats. Now I know better. Clearly there are bad drivers on every road.

Quote:
There was another dojo in the vicinity that was known for being gentle and less demanding. During the same period there were 3 catastrophic breaks or dislocations at that dojo. I have trained in my current dojo for about 5 years. In that time, major injuries have been 1 poked eye (healed in a few days), 2 dislocated toes (one caught between mats and one caught in an unfortunate breakfall from a hip throw. I don't think it was a dangerous throw. I was the nage), and a broken ankle (caused by stepping backwards and rolling it during warm ups. I would count all of those injuries as fairly unavoidable. As for the rate of attrition you mentioned, it is clearly too high and something's not right there.
The other concussion (besides mine) in the past 12 months was during class - I'm pretty sure it was out of koshi, and I believe it was one of the instructors who threw a 6th kyu badly. There was a broken collarbone that happened to a 6th kyu, taking ukemi from a 4th kyu out of an advanced back-to-back koshi variation, in a class taught by a newly-minted shodan. There were two poked eyes/cuts near the eye (which I didn't include in my list of major injuries since they didn't interrupt training), both of which were caused by the same black belt who dropped me on my head. I don't recall any mention of any of these - arguably avoidable - injuries being raised either with the teaching staff or with the student body in general, as part of a reemphasizing of safety. One would think a concussion and a broken collarbone within 8 weeks of each other would warrant some gentle cautioning, at least. I'm not surprised they have retention issues.