Thread: The Way
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 03:42 PM   #2
ikkainogakusei
Re: The Way

Quote:
Bryan Benson (Thor&#039s Hammer) wrote:
A couple of things have been running around in my mind, questions which have been basically centered on technique.

Any thoughts? Do I make any sense??
...Any sense?...well yes and no.

I see a round-about connection to the smaller question 'is it fair to throw someone who doesn't know how to fall?' and 'Why can't we all be fair in all that we do?' but I respond to both questions differently.

With regard to the first:

You may want to ask yourself 'Is it fair to be attacked in the first place?' To me, an assault (physical) is an action that is akin to expressing rejection of one's humanity. If a person were to attack me, they've already expressed a rejection of me. Now, my response would depend on the person. Almost two years ago a woman tried to attack me, who I did not feel threatened by. I simply tried my best to block and blend, until she finally landed a grab. Being a little surprised by this, I lowered my center, and added more momentum to her pull, which caused her to fall backwards.

I tried to do no more than prevent contact, but when she got it, I felt I had to do something. If she were larger, more martially experienced, or carrying a weapon, I'd have responded with greater determination to protect myself. Had I had the legendary technique of O' Sensei or other masters, I might be more successful at preventing contact altogether. Therein lies my flaw, but I'll take that flaw over broken bones.

I'll respond to the other 'thing' in the next post so as to break things up.