View Single Post
Old 08-29-2001, 08:00 AM   #17
Kenn
Dojo: looking for a new one
United_States
Re: spare matial art

Quote:
Originally posted by gadsmf@aol.com
Besides, just like everyone should have a mountain bike as well as a road bike, everyone should have a second martial art.
OK, not going to get into the pros and cons of practicing two martial arts at once. It's been done to death.

I studied Shaolin Kung Fu and Yang Style Tai Chi Chu'an for 3-4 years before I discovered Aikido. I have found that the Tai Chi training really helped my me graps Aikido better than if I had come in with no training whatsoever. From what I know of these and other martial arts...(I love to get online and read alot about the martial arts) Tai Chi and Aikido have very similar philosophies and compliment each other very well.

I believe that these two arts, although perhaps the hardest of all to master, also end up being the "best" in the sense that when, and if, big if, mastered, they can be the most effective of all.

I think this tells a bit why there are many questions on this forum as to the effectiveness of Aikido. I think both Aikido and Tai Chi are arts that take many many many years to master. Therefore, very few have. Thus very few people see the effectiveness of a Tai Chi, or Aikido Master.

damn, I addressed way too many things in this post. Guess I should reply more often instead of ranting once in a while like this.

Peace all,

Kenn

Kenn

Remember, the only way to be happy always, is to be happy always, without reason.