View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #18
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States
Re: Ushiro Ukemi

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Not really part of my argument for or against but I am curious, and I am not sure you mean it that way, but do you mean that the non-rolling back break fall would be more likely to result in a head injury?

A counter argument is that a backward role can put the neck in a non-safe position especially if your body has been projected at speed. I certainly don't consider it safer.
Well... I see folks slam the back of their head on back breakfalls a lot risking a concussion (failure to tuck the head to side and land on one shoulder then rock to the other). I see it happen watching American Football, too.

A properly learned backward roll goes to the shoulder and keeps the head and neck safe automatically and off the ground the entire time. Indeed, poor backward rolls are dangerous to the neck and so should not be done at speed until learned properly.

In other words, poorly executed ukemi is no good in any circumstance...

In a combat situation a breakfall doesn't seem safer to me - I would just be lying there to get stomped or kicked unless I immediately rolled away or kicked back successfully.

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008