View Single Post
Old 06-03-2003, 02:22 AM   #9
kodia
Thanks for the interesting replies thusfar. They sure help me to understand Aikido. Some particular points:
Quote:
If my uke simply roots and stands still, I very often do the same, since as far as I am concerned, we do not have an attack. If I am able to begin to discern a pattern of movement or energy in uke's grab, then I will connect and work with that.

I don't know if any of this makes sense to you....
It makes very much sense to me....
Quote:
On Atemi - O'Sensei said, "Atemi is 90% of Aikido!
I'll remember that one, in case I meet another Aikido sensei who says: Aikido has no atemi.

Quote:
And any Karate dojo - if you've been doing Wado Ryu for 25 years you should know that. If the person, with a good amount of Budo experience, can not understand after five visits what the situation in a particular dojo is then he has a problem.
I was not the student involved...

Nevertheless, budo is one thing, the particulars of a dojo culture is quite another. It takes more than 5 visits to figure that out....
Quote:
Sensei was put in a difficult position - the answer was to switch techniques and dump the twit
Who's running the dojo? Sensei put himself in a difficult position. But yes, I guess he should have 'dumped the twit'
Quote:
Kata's main purpose is to instill technique - testing that technique is done in randori
Same in wado....
Quote:
Aikido does include sen no sen and sen sen no sen. In fact it is a key concept here too. It does not require flawless technique (if that even exists) but the ability to read your opponent.
The way I see it you need flawless technique to 'read' your opponent. Because if you're still preoccupied whith the execution of the technique you'll lack the 'state of mind' required to 'read'.
Quote:
Finally a story. I've just had two American Karate types join my dojo - both turned out to be a real pleasure to train with but I remembered the last time one joined my group in Quebec. He really wasn't as hot as he thought but decided to prove that Aikido was no good. Lying on the floor holding his ribs he started telling me what I did wasn't Aikido. Of course it was - I just stepped out of the box of his preconceptions.
Keep up the good work...

Igor Asselbergs