View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 03:14 AM   #37
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: Kotegaeshi Ukemi

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
If Uke were doing Aiki...do. There is almost no chance that Kotogaeshi would ever even happen. That said, were one to be willing to stop doing aiki and let nage complete the waza for practice sake- they could do so and just just stand there saying "Job well done, want to practice it again?" There is no need to fall down. And that said, why not practice to do it, practice to cancel it out, or absorb it a few times then practice counters all in the same class, then practice Ukemi at a later date?
Why not do the same thing with everything? Including all manner of throws. Then start on absorbing atemi's.
Seems to me that in the end game, that level of training would make aiki people who were absolutely tough as nails against most Martial Artist out there. Actually I think its what Ueshiba was doing himself and anyone can be taught to do it right from the start. Its learning a form of mastery from the beginning. It's hard work, but its great fun, and it can be taught to everyone from the very beginning. I see little reason to train to fall down most of the time, when there is a much better way that remains true to aiki.
Cheers
Dan
Well like dan
I think Ukemi is really a training aid more than a goal in itself. To ukemi comfortably you need to get in font of the technique. So it does train you to counter because to counter you need to get in front of the technique as well.
As well it enables tori to chain the technique with a pin all that in a safe and controlled manner.
or to put in on properly with no lasting damage.

If you are in front there is no need to do an over the top break falls and standard and normal ukemi will be good enough. I see the big break fall as emergency damage limitation i.e. you have been caught out and you need to catch up.
Personally I do not see any valid reason to go ever the top unless you are being put there or you want to train it.
That being said it is abit like edge to edge parry in swordsmanship, it is not advisable but a small dent in you sword is much better than a bid dent in you.
phil

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.