View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
What I get from the above statement is that you believe there is only one model of human movement, that both CXW and world class tennis players operate within that model and seek to optimize movement within that model.
Not quite, I do think there are many models. But there is only one Machine. Both CXW and world class tennis players use that same machine (the human body).

Quote:
There are at least two models of human movement (using very broad strokes here): the modern Western physiology/sports model and the Eastern internal arts one. They are mutually exclusive. Optimizing movement in one model will yield results unattainable in the other and vice versa. Both result in some incredible feats for the untrained person.
I agree that these models describe things differently. Mutually exclusive, I don't agree with. In Mike's basic outline, even if there is more to it, both models agree on many points. I also disagree that there is a modern "Western physiology/sports model", I think that we are all sharing enough information (nations of the world) that we are getting pretty close to having a very similar model, within professional sports, everywhere in the world. I do agree that there is an Easter internal arts model, it's around a hundred or more years old (depending on who you think constructed that model). But I don't think the Chinese government is using that model to train it's olympic athletes. I think you would find the modern Chinese using a similar model to the one you would see in a modern Western sports facility. So I believe it's a "modern athletic model" and an "older Chinese internal model" we are comparing.

Quote:
You can think of these two models as two mountains. Walking up one of them (i.e. optimizing within that model) means you won't be walking up the other. And that's why people keep saying IP requires a fundamentally different way of movement: because it does.
To me this different way of moving, would require a different machine, but we're all using pretty much the same one.

Thanks!