View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #172
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: VoE: AWASE - The Principle of AIKI

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
Not sure what politics you are thinking of, here is an example of what I have in mind:

All my direct teachers are students of Saito Morihiro who was a student of the Founder.
The Founder was very particular about the hanmi, Saito Morihiro was particular about the hanmi. My direct teachers are particular about the hanmi.

When Dan says that hanmi makes no sense in his method and that his method is the same one the Founder had, than this comes from outside the system and requires a proof.
Put it this way - Morihei Ueshiba deplored counting the steps in a jo kata.

Morihiro Saito stated this himself and stated that he would be scolded if found counting out the steps in a jo kata.

Morihiro Saito taught the jo kata while counting out the steps.

Doesn't that mean that Saito was teaching things from outside the system?

Morihei Ueshiba taught a lot of people, and those people ended up expressing things in various different ways.

If you're saying that the way that the particular way Saito expressed things is the only legitimate expression within the system then I think that you're in for a lot of arguments.

Personally, I think that you're getting too caught up in the exact outer expression of the physical movement - something that both Morihei Ueshiba and Sokaku Takeda specifically spoke against.

Even Gozo Shioda spoke against it, and few styles are as strictly patterned as the Yoshinkan.

Best,

Chris