View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #50
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Using ki-skills for "aiki" in Daito-Ryu

Usually when someone says you cannot judge something from outside, I think sure you can. What is the criteria? So I listed some. I'm very open to other sets of criteria.

Marc,

I understand that you do not place time frames on people's learning paradigms. I'm not sure that your preference invalidate my criteria, but I'm certainly open to reading about your criteria. Even if you do not do feel it is important, would you mind answering the question in case it matters to someone else?

Myself, I wonder things like if Ikeda sensei is in his 60s and he undertakes a new say 30 year program to develop internal skills, doesn't that mean he's going to be in his 90s when he's ready to show us these skills applied to aikido? I don't know that it is a 30 year program. I would like to know how long it typically takes.

If you can get Ushiro sensei to write on this board, I'll be happy to ask him myself. If not, my time is pretty limited these days so would you mind asking him when you see him yourself and letting us know what he says?

I really do not understand why people say you cannot judge these training methods from outside. I listed criteria that I found relevant. If you have OTHER criteria that you find relevant please by all means list that. What is the relevant criteria from within your system to measure progression? (Most systems have some sort of ranks.)

Toby,

When I think about "why would a karate person use skills outside of karate" it kind of reminds me of when people in school get confused with the purpose of math. To me, math is a system used to help us approximate reality. (We use it to balance our check book and to figure out how much lumber we will need or how much time something will probably take, etc.) There are actually cases where people in the "math camp" argue their *theories* with engineers about the reality of the their measurements. I'm not sure if I have time to think the analogy through perfectly, but the idea I'm getting to here is that *from a martial perspective* martial art styles are or at least used to be *approaches* to dealing with real fighting (like math is an approach to dealing with and predicting reality). If you can take what you learned from karate and bring it to a real fight then that makes practical sense to me. If you take take what you learned in aikido and bring it to a real fight (this is from a martial perspective of course) then that makes sense to me. I hope that makes sense to you. (in the generic sense)

Rob