View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #107
Gary David

United_States
Re: Future of Aikido

Quote:
............it's perfectly legitimate if someone claims to be doing "silk reeling" or some other buzzword to ask them to explain it. To just dumbly nod without anything going through the head but fleecy clouds is to ask for trouble. The idea that anyone can assert anything publicly and that no one is allowed to ask questions is a sure sign of trouble in an art.
Good Grief!!
I am expressing my reaction to a process I was ask to do last Saturday and from my limited experiences it reminds me of silk reeling and as a partner practice similar to push hands. The purpose of the solo practice and the paired practice, both prior to working into a technique were relaxed integrated movement and keeping this while working with a partner and then keeping this as we went on to do a technique utilizing the outer movement. I have practiced on a very limited basis both both silk reeling and push hands....make no claims to having any skill or more than a limited understand of either. I do know that if I say silk reeling most, even on a forum that is Aikido based, folks will get a ready image of what I am talking to. I guess I could have taken a lot of time to explain what was going on, but that is not me. Frank made no reference to silk reeling and only mentioned push hands and Tai Chi as a contributing source of what he was having us do. It was my place to go with it.......... T

Quote:
Any discussion about a 'future' should allow for critical and specific questioning (not some of these "I demand you explain this" absurdities to crop up occasionally on the forum).
If critical and specific questioning is going to be directed by name at individuals I am having no part of it. Actually discussion of this nature are best conducted in small groups between people who know each other...or at least have respect for each other. Otherwise they will all end badly. The future of Aikido is already moving along a number of paths whose outcomes none are dependent upon critical discussions on this or other forums...outcomes are dependent for the most part upon how much change and evolution is present in the individuals involved or on how clear these folks are about staying exactly where they are now.

Gary.....