View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #153
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States
Re: Dan, Mike, and Aikido

Are you serious? What do you think a mokuroku is? Rhetorical question as it is literally a list, catalogue, inventory, index.

The easy answer for me would be to tell you to look in the index of "Aikido Masters" for Mokuroku -- pages 98, 145, 151, 178, 247, 248. Should be easy to find it's next after Mochizuki.

For the benefit of all, though, I'll type out some of the most relevant from page 247:
Quote:
Takako Kunigoshi (illustrator of "Budo Renshu")
The first thing I received was a scroll called a mokuroku. Ueshiba sensei said to me, 'Actually I should copy this out and give it to you, but I don't have any time so please take mine and write it yourself.' I wrote out everything and when I told Sensei that I had finished he told me to write my name. I wrote my own name and all Ueshiba sensei did was affix his seal. So I have a scroll which I copied out myself. If I were asked just what the scroll meant I guess we could say it was the equivalent to some dan grading... When I was training, though, there was nothing like dan grades...

Intr. -- I see. Was the scroll you received like this one?

Yes, this is the one.

Intr. -- It is definitely the first level scroll. It's called the hiden mokuroku.

...at that time I didn't consider it to be a kind of certification or diploma. I thought it was something like a set of notes. I didn't pay particular attention to writing it.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場