View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 05:35 PM   #5
Peter Boylan
United_States
Bruce,

I think you missed the point of the whole project. It was not to provide a definitive description of aikido, nor to explore combat techniques and "secrets." There are a myriad of books describing Aikido, vastly more that explore combat techniques, and considering that humans have been using the same fundamental techinques since at least the age of the pharoahs, I really doubt that there are any truly secret techniques. One style's secret is another styles beginner class.

The goal of the project, which I hope I succeeded in to at least a limited degree, was to explore how Americans look at their Aikido practice, and what, if any, place it has in their religious life. I was rather surprised to find that for two-thirds of the people interviewed, Aikido was a form spiritual practice. It didn't form the basis for a "religion" for any of them, but they had incorporated it into their religious practice (chapter 4 if you want to skip directly to it).

Frankly, I'm rather confused by your post, since almost none of it has any relation or relevance to what I wrote.

Peter "the Budo says "HI" to the DFoH" Boylan

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Budo Books, Videos, Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com