View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #29
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Ground Defense

Quote:
Brian Gillaspie wrote: View Post
I'm just curious how many dojos train for defending yourself when you are on the ground. If you do, how often do you train.

I know in a perfect world you should never end up on the ground but I know I am not always perfect....my wife reminds me of that quite often.
I feel like every time I've been pinned I learned a little about newaza. I can also remember a handful of times when sempai showed me that just because I had them on their back while practicing kokyuho, they were still in control. So my newaza "studies" came about informally. Then there was growing up where my first contact with "the mount" came in the form of "the piano player" in which my large friends sat on me and poked me repeatedly in the chest. I was a little out of tune I'm afraid.
It was awesome when I realized that through relaxation and focus I could reach up with my flexible legs and pull them backwards...um, but I suppose that doesn't count since they weren't exactly what many people would called "trained," or "good."

Last edited by mathewjgano : 12-21-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Gambarimashyo!