View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #34
Alberto_Italiano
Re: Aikido For Dummies: Desperation, period.

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Apologies for being late to the party...

I spent a year looking at Aikido Dojo's and Sensei's before I found one I liked...My only criteria was can this due kick my a** and/or handle himself in a Fight/Martial confrontation?

That's it...

If your Aikido does not teach you how to handle conflict ESPECIALLY physical conflict then don't waste your time.

You say you've been boxing for years? That is excellent! You are the perfect student for Aikido...In the early days most every Aikido student had serious experience in other martial arts before they came to Aikido...

Don't settle...Your head and heart are both in the right place...You will know when you find what you're looking for.

William Hazen
Thank you William.
It is conforting seeing that there are a few who still are able to understand that conflict is quintessential to martial arts. And that it has nothing to do with beating guys randomly.
Practicing Aikido without cultivating unceasingly randori or conflict like simulations is like somebody learning how to write a computer program but never writing the actual code him/herself: the first time s/he does, finds out it's all buggy.