View Single Post
Old 07-27-2000, 09:47 PM   #10
Erik
Quote:
samurai_x wrote:I think i agree on all of u guys have to say, but i still have this concern regarding kicks. Dont u think if it's not that regularly practised ,i mean the Defence Against Kicks. Dont u think that when time comes when u encounter a kicker the Aikido student might have some difficulty dealing w/ it ? Coz the student is not familiar w/ such form of attack. And is it ok to teach kicks to Aikido students so they will be more familiar to it ? But just below the belt kicks they could be very good atemi.
It's hard to argue with this. The point I was trying to make is that they aren't as terrifying as they seem. Although I admit that I flinch on them. As you say not enough practice. I just don't think they are very effective overall.

Your comment on learning kicks as atemi is very true. I can kick just a teeny tiny bit mostly a right front kick (actually it isn't that terrible and my left could kick you in the head but probably not hurt you) and you can get people to come out of their hakama with it. Actually, you don't even have to extend the leg. You just have to put a lot of energy in it. They make for great atemi.