View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Aikido's Attacks -- Reality and Effectiveness

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
OK... So you contributed next to nothing to this thread. You didn't even address one of the questions in the initial post.

Kata vs Kumite?

If one were limited to the "standard" attacks of aikido, but practiced in a way that was more like kumite than kata, would those attacks be effective?

What is "kind of obvious," Marc? I think overlooking the obvious is where most of us get ourselves into trouble.
Michael:

I am assuming that your response to me was rhetorical. Life is kind of like driving by Braille. If you are moving in one direction and hit a wall, the smart thing to do is to turn. If a person chooses to overlook the obvious, then do you really think that pointing out the obvious is going to accomplish anything? There is a big, big world out there. If a person chooses to remain within a very limited environment and assume that this accurately represents the larger world, then that is simply their choice and their right to make that choice. The outcome of that choice will reflect the accuracy of the assumption/choice.

Marc Abrams