Old 10-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #29
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: True Warfare

Quote:
Carsten M�llering wrote: View Post
Thank you for answering my question.

I don't see this global cange when looking at what we can know about the history of aikido.
And I don't "experience" it when practicing with my teacher who has practiced with the late Sugino Yoshio (besides other teachers).
So I don't agree with your statement. Be it sitting over my books or be it practicing on the tatami.

I myself think that the assumption of a global change after WWII just makes it easier for us, to - seemingly! - understand what Ueshiba thaught and did.
Also, part of the very deliberate post-war effort to separate Aikido from it's militaristic roots (for obvious reasons).

It was also a great sales point to distinguish Aikido from the other arts in post-war Japan.

Even pre-war, Judo and Karate made similar efforts - but Ueshiba and the Aikikai seem to have been the most successful at branding.

I'm not being cynical, I think that he believed in what he was doing - but it wasn't (quite) unique.

Judo under Kano: JITA-KYOEI (Perfection of One's Self and Mutual Welfare and Benefit)

Karate under Funakoshi: Never forget that karate begins and ends with respect. There is no first attack in karate. Karate fosters righteousness.

Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu: Winning without fighting - "Strategies for war become strategies for peace", circa early 1400's.

And others...I think that the pre-war/post-war knife edge dichotomy is way too simplistic.

Best,

Chris