View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #20
Reuben

Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan
Malaysia
Re: Aikido for older beginners ?

As other people mentioned, it's not really the age, it's the body condition. I agree with what lbb said.

Remember that most Aikido senseis aren't experts in physiology and Aikido is always promoted as being accessible by everybody though I think in truth, if you have an impediment there might be certain things you cannot do in Aikido.

I personally have made this mistake, thinking I could lessen exercises that involved the knee or back, but without a thorough understanding of the injury, the Aikido didn't do them much good and gave them pains which stopped them from coming. I remember a 28 year old girl who had weak knees and although she wasn't doing any suwariwaza techniques, things like shihonage or even ikkyo when she sat down for the lock gave her pain. Of course this could be to my own ignorance and perhaps other instructors have over the years developed methods to help this.

It would be best to seek professional medical advice as to the kinds of movements you should avoid.

A weak knee would rule out suwariwaza techniques which although I personally think there are other ways around it, is quite a fundamental part of training especially with kokyuho.. Also certain styles are harder on the knees for eg Yoshinkan based ones.

The most important thing is making sure your teacher can adapt (which I am learning to do so) and communicate the range of movements you can or cannot do. But i believe with things like this...a little discomfort is unavoidable but may end up actually strengthening your muscles to support weak knees/joints.