View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Freeform Bokken Drills to Develop Aiki Flow

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
Robert,

But I really don't care so much about striking poses. Just looking to keep it real.
Hi Chris,

First, I want to say that what I'm about to say isn't meant in a mean spirited way.

That being said, I think the "unity" you refer to is something that I consider "coordination" of the body.

The connection I mentioned in my previous post is a result of training in a specific manner, which conditions the body to move in a certain manner. Once you've conditioned it that way, it becomes "unnatural" for it to move in an unconnected fashion, under duress or otherwise.
Of course relaxation, being accustomed to the task or exercise at hand all enhance this "body connection", but even without, it should be visible.

Next, this is only from my own experience of course,
body unification/connection isn't really a "life long pursuit." If you know how to train it, it can be developed to a usable degree within 2-3 years, depending on how smart you train, and how hard you train.

The real "meat" of the training begins after you have a connected body...that's when things start to get really funky

If you had this kind of connection (that's been discussed in other threads) it still would have been apparent in the video. That's my take on it...
but if we ever meet, and I'm wrong, the dinner for the night is on me

But,
I also have a lot of respect for you putting the video up, and trying to keep it real.

Last edited by Upyu : 02-05-2008 at 11:04 PM.