View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #70
DH
United_States
Re: Two centers making a connection or one- in a bujutsu body?

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Ok, question time. Hopefully you can show me what you mean soon enough, but until then it's a slow day at work so here goes:

How do you move someone if there is no connection? You have to, at some point, take the slack out of their body in order to move them. If I give someone my arm and tell them to move me by only using my arm, they either have to stretch my arm out away from me enough to take the slack out and make a connection to me in order to pull me or they have to find some way to get that connection pushing in, either by getting me to collapse my arm in a way that it gets connected to my center, getting me to introduce tension into my body to give them that connection or by finding some way to lock me and make that connection, yay or nay?

Now the above would be pretty rudimentary and would assume that I have no other ability to keep my center hidden if they do manage to get some sort of connection through the arm to the rest of my body, but as we know, even getting a connection through the arm to the rest of my body does not guarantee that they're going to get my center.

Make sense?
1. You are moving into martial tactics of either internal power or externally driven power. and they can overlap.
2. You are designing an example with a goal in mind of me trying to take slack out of someones arm. I don't wanna. Screw em. I'm not trying to make a waza work. I am going to play the person with an intact center and be predatory about it; taking their center when it is smart and opportunistic to do so. Whether by my design or their involuntary agreement (or both) or not, doesn't matter to me. I am still not going to "make connect" to a persons center.

Okay my turn. Going back to the original point of centers; who..is connecting or getting connected to who?
What causes Kuzushi in the first place? Is it always the same?
Does a train "make connection" to your center to toss you a hundred feet? Or is it intact and moving itself?
Using the age old Elephant models; If you push on an Elephant he doesn't need to "connect to you" in order to move you. He moves himself, you move with him. If you noodle your arm against the Elephant the slack won't be removed unless he is trying to do other things. Assuming he needs to do other things to off you.
What if there is some sophisticated management of forces within that Elephant to allow it to do much of the same thing by itself on the inside...without moving?

There is a reason that motion in stillness becomes stillness in motion. If you make it a goal to throw someone who is noodling or muscling up...does it change you internally? No, it doesn't. You stay intact and unchanged while you move and still retain and hide your center. What is moving on the outside is being driven by your center and it is affecting them but they are following through their own disconnected bodies until they either muscle up or collapse and you place them into a position of instability. In no way during the course of that is it necessary to reveal your center, or make a center to center connection. The external manipulation of your body can make their stability compromised as there is no way for them to alight with force on any part of you. For them its like sticking a finger into a blender all movement from within to without, getting off-lined and/or hit and kicked from any number of angles of a moving structure retaining its center. And...not caring one bit about yours.

In feel, it is opportunistic and non-dedicated multiples of force vectors happening at once. This is one of the reasons for Sam saying "My present is your future!" and me saying Aiki in me, before aiki between thee and me!" They...don't know what we are doing or how we are moving and they're striving to connect...to us...leaves them reactive to forces they cannot perceive and that have no wind up, as inyo makes them one. It makes aiki....at speed.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 10-17-2012 at 10:06 AM.