Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #220
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Why no tsuba?

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Graham
You have your reality, you have expressed it many times, having stated or implied that what you have and do is a true understanding of Aikido....your understanding a true rendition of the founder approach. I am good with that....it is after all your reality. I also agree that Aikiken and Aikijo are in and of themselves stand alone.....some connection to real weapons work, but not real weapons work. They are both there to provide training in movement......understanding timing, space and a bunch of other things that can help with your empty hand art. To me the most important aspect of using the boken and jo are that their use requires that both hands, both sides and the whole are in play. The sadness here is the use of both sides, the balance and wholeness it provides, is lost the moment these tools are placed back in the rack. A further problem with both is neither teaches small movements in and of themselves......this has to be added by someone who understands small movements.....and most don't ..... the larger movements gets them by.

It is perfectly ok to stay were you are, were many are....it is perfectly ok.

My reality is like driving down the road.....I can see the landscape is changing, I can see that more exists beyond the fence I have around my yard and even at 69 I still want to learn and experience. To me the essentials needed to move on are what Dan and other are talking about and trying to help with. For me the best chance of this is with folks like Dan, John, Walter, Chris, Doug, Marc, David, Fred, Keith and others who are like them who have some connection to realities closer to mine.

Oh by the way.....your boken clips up on You Tube are a demo...so you have at least shown your approach to Aikiken rather than sword.

just go straight

Gary
Thank you. The clips are not a demo by the way.

I understand your reality too and may it serve you well. I have no need to make others choices or paths wrong.

The peolple you mention, along with your good self have found something they need so good for them. Your mention of smaller and comparing to larger must be something you relate to such I take it. Then that's all good too.

One thing I know is that they don't know or understand my Aikido. I can tell by their comments.

Energy motion, yin and yang, intention, non resistance, stillness, circles of all sizes, triangles, spirals, relationships to motion, timing, space, all old news to me. Categorizing my Aikido they are well off the mark, nowhere near, so I need no advice from such and neither do I ask for any.

I do not advise them on what they do although I could easily but it would be bad manners to do so.

This thread is tsuba. What I said about it stands. Trying to use 'special circumstances and techniques where it would be needed' is a totally different subject and thus to me merely mischief. Of course in such special training it's necessary but I see only one (or few) do this particular training.

The effort given to make wrong is quite amusing. What a waste of time and energy.

Your approach is open minded and I applaud it.

Your saying, just go straight is a good one. Maybe I'll make one to sign off on. Mmmm.

Something like Fudoshin....

Regards.G.