View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 03:12 AM   #27
Aran Bright
Dojo: Griffith Aikido Yuishinkai
Australia
Re: Ki, Aiki, Aikido. The 'internal stuff' that never left Aikido

Hi Mike,

Let me first of all say I 'resonate' with what you are saying. I myself come from the same aikido background as you. And I have the same question, is what is being taught by Tohei, and in our case K Maruyama, the same as what Mike S. et al are talking about? I have no bloody idea.

They ceratinly sound very similar, they even look somewhat familiar in demonstrations, the problem is I haven't felt these guys so I can't say for sure. I can say that Mike Sigman does refrence and study a lot of what Tohei teaches and says that they are the same fundamental principles.

I guess we can go around and around in circles with this stuff as we have seen many do already in the baseline skills thread (man that gave me a headache trying to get through all that) but the important question I think is there anything that can be gained by it? The discussion I mean. Can we get some training drills, skills or principles that we can turn into real results?

I think so, I have found by looking at what has been discussed, trying some of the ideas at home and in class I have achieved some real results. After getting some idea of the groundpath principle I went to training straight away and broke my Jo. (yeah thanks guys) This to me demonstrated that I was missing something in what I am doing and that i actually have bad technique, I was over using my right arm and drove straight through the middle of the Jo consequently breaking it. But heres the thing i could feel that there was a hell of a lot more potential in my body than what I was using.

Anyway, I think that you have already discovered a new way of testing by getting someone to push and pull on your arm, why not take it a step further and get someone to push in all different areas of your body?

I guess we need to test what we are doing and see if we can meet some of these tests that have been suggested for basic internal skills. This is only if we want to. If we are then found wanting I think that there is something that can be learnt.

Just my thoughts anyway,

Aran

http://brisbaneaikido.com

Brisbane Aikido Republic
Brisbane
Australia