View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #40
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Re: Why do we use so much grappling in Aikido?

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote: View Post
Should that not be Judo, Aikido, Karate Ichi? Or is Karate not part of Mochizuki's Yoseikan Budo?
Actually, the first (and I would say most fundamental) kata in the Yoseikan is Happoken, eight striking and blocking movements...

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote: View Post
Tomiki saw Aikido as a section of Japanese Budo (Atemi and Kansetsu Waza) that could stand on its own merits without one needing to resort to Judo waza (or anything else) to make it work. This is part of why he formulated the method that he did. As a very skilled Judoka who was rendered helpless by Ueshiba's Aiki early in their relationship I think he realised that there was a skillset within Aikido that was important to preserve and understand. Something that his years of Judo training may not have prepared him for. I think in that light he felt it better to maintain separate training methods for the two arts, even though they relied on the same basic principles.
Yes, you're right. What I meant is that even when Tomiki separated the two in his method, Mochizuki believed in a Sogo Budo, with go, ju and aiki principals as an integrated whole. Not to forget the buki waza of the Yoseikan Shinto Ryu.

At the end of the day, it's what Tomiki also said: "Aikido is judo at a distance". I see a shared point between Tomiki and Mochizuki here.