Old 06-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #501
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France
Re: Spiritual and i/p

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I don't know...
The community isn't exactly equal along all parts of the spectrum, is it? It's easy to say just ask someone you trust to ask someone they trust and so on, but it doesn't always actually work so easily as that, as far as I can tell. Plus there's a bit of a process which takes time for that kind of thing...which also varies based on the particulars of where in the community we're at.
I've asked a variety of people to give their impressions on people and recieved practically nothing in return. People aren't always helpful where we would like them to be.
When it comes to engaging a conversation we're all equals. When it comes to understanding that conversation we're not all equals. Tom's describing the first part, as I see it.
I still think the biggest hudle isn't people thinking they know more than they do. I think it's conventions in language and personality.
Like I said though, I don't know.

Also, to comment on my earlier remarks about "sticky," David made a good distinction (as far as I can tell). I have no real familiarity with Wing Chung sticky hands drills, so they are probably quite different.
Be excellent to each other,
Matt
Hi Matthew,
This is exactly the point; in engaging a dialogue we are all equal. And is this not the basis of what we do in daily life? Or in science? Or in politics? It is historically and philosophically of utmost importance, but in daily life we do not even expect it to be otherwise. We experience it as normal without ever questioning it. So it is odd if this becomes such an issue on this forum.
You are right, in understanding we are not equal. In acquering knowledge and skills we are not equal.
One person my be an excellent musician while the other person is a skilled carpenter. They are not equal, yet should be able to respect each other's skills and experience. If it is about music the carpenter should be willing to listen to the musician, if it is about building a violin the musician should be willing to listen to the carpenter.

To trust the community to establish who has a better level of validity is not only not practical, it is dangerous. It is as if we are saying "if so many people see this as the truth, then it must have some point of value". Or worse "then it must be true". These are fallacies. It may work on a smaller scale, like when your neighbour would say; "you should go to this butcher, he is really good and cheap too". But it does not work as a basic principle. We see this all too often in politics, when we vote for a person because we get the impression from everyone that he is the best choice, while we never take time to learn about their real views and argumentation. Worst case scenario; Germany, 1930's.

Thank you for these words; "be excellent to each other", they are beautiful!

Gassho,

Tom