View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #3
john2054

United Kingdom
Question Re: Aikido mix with other martial arts

Quote:
Henele Veikune wrote: View Post
[ My English is not really good but I will try my best to explain]
I teach Aikido to afterschool kids from low income families for free. What I found out that most kids start Aikido then pull out because the parents want them to do other style.
In the little town that I am from, almost everyone want to do MMA . Only few have interest in Doing Aikido, with a twist .I think one of the problem is the language { Japanese].
I don't want to disrespect the arts but I mixed Aikido with Kafa [ Island Martial Arts], Judo, karate . People respond was outstanding . I just want some input from you.
thanks
Hi Henele, thanks for your teaching. I've studied moments of Aikido, Karate-do and Judo. And whilst there are merits in each of them, i did find that there was an unspoken competition between then. Demonstrated by a widespread rejection of the other styles within each. So for example, they didn't like us to practice Judo freestyle randori within Aikido, and equally Aikido moves (Ikkyo) were banned within Judo. Also they do teach Ikkyo in Karate, but they didn't like it when i demonstrated it with the efficiency of an Aikidoka, and i got banned soon after?

I've now been banned from all the dojos in Derby, and most of the sites on the internet, so my opinions are open to question?