View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 05:36 AM   #8
Bernd Lehnen
Germany
Re: Body, mind, and spirit

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Bernd used an aphorism of Heraclitus (panta rei), but he was part of a tradition in Greek philosophy and was followed by Parmenides, who said something quite different. Since I have done philosophy for years (including such philosophy as the Japanese have produced), I do not take him too seriously.

Finally, this is addressed to Bernd: Have you come across the works of James Heizig or Thomas Kasulis? They have produced an interesting sourcebook of Japanese philosophy. It covers the whole range and is arranged in terms of 'traditions'. It is part of the Nanzan Library of Asian Religion and Culture.
Which philosopher would not have contradicted himself at least once in a lifetime?

In my comparison, I was referring to Plato (Πλάτων) and consciously chose the shortened form of the aphorism, supplemented by my own interpretation.
I left the preoccupation with and discussion of Heraklit in the German-speaking area to Holderlin, Hegel and Nietzsche. My interest in pure philosophy has become more and more limited, as life throws many other possibilities in our way and the time we are given is not enough for everything, but I still got a little inspiration from Rupert Lay as a contemporary mentor, among others.

When I started Aikido, "mens sana in corpore sano" seemed like a good approach, but since Ueshiba OSensei obviously did not clearly limit himself to it and apparently insisted never to do the same thing twice ( 武産 takemusu), I was left with my interpretation of the abbreviated Platonic πάντα ῥεῖ.

I suppose I can "see" where you come from and it is with great pleasure that I follow your meticulous research and precise explanations in "Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation".

I have always consciously avoided the trap of taking Aikido as a new creed.

Best,
Bernd