Thread: 2 Martial Arts
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #19
kewms
Re: 2 Martial Arts

Quote:
John Powell wrote: View Post
Katherine, a question. "When" is, in your opinion, "abandoned as early as possible" mean? Either in a objective time sense, i.e. 3 months or 1 year, or whatever.... or, in a subjective sense, when the instructor can visually/by means of tactile sense knowing, when the person is ready for that step?
Our dojo has "flowing" technique on the test requirements beginning with 5th kyu, which is the second test in our system. OTOH, you'll still see static exercises in classes where most of the students are yudansha. It depends on what exactly the instructor is trying to teach.

(And it should be said that a static exercise for yudansha generally has a different purpose than a static exercise for beginners. The beginners are probably learning the shape of the technique with minimal resistance, while the yudansha are probably learning about internal structure and relaxation with a resisting partner.)

When I'm teaching, I'll generally show both static and dynamic versions. I'll encourage everyone except complete beginners to try the dynamic versions -- at speed appropriate to their level -- with the static versions as a fallback if needed.

Katherine