View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #261
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
Interesting talk. I don't think many people would get it to any level of depth until they can makes sense of some of the phrases used ... steal by means of kinesthetic perception in ukemi 20-30 years ... kinesthetic percetion with such people as your ukes ... about 10-15 years ...

- Actually train "central equilibrium" directly ... forces being mentally managed by means of intentions ... about 1-5 years of that kind of thing.

... To do this I had to work at learning to "feel" my body into proper structure ... To "just feel" I have had to really let go of the idea of "control" and of the ideas of "attachment to outcome".
May I point out, your progression depended on being able to "not think" and to "feel" accurately. There is no basis in your experience to judge that the progression of your experience and its deepening can be so trivially short-circuited - because you are building on a foundation. Also, it cannot be said that thinking about feeling as it occurred necessarily helped. It may even get in the way. Thinking is best when reflective and projective.

Speaking from experience as a pilot as well as from aikido specifically, there is A LOT of learning to be able to relax into riding the dynamic, rather than making the dynamic happen. The first action of control is always OVER-control. Control advances by iterated reduction of compensating (and usually opposing) errors. Competent control occurs when the error range is too small and fast for conscious control and the cerebellum gradually takes over.

The cerebral brain must think -- it is what it does, so give it proper, precise names and concepts to think about, for analyzing after action occurs, and get it OUT of the business of thinking about feeling AS it occurs. That's crosswired, and counterproductive. Getting accurate concepts for the cerebral brain to assess training and plan refined training is at least as important as proper attention to accurate feeling of the magnitude and direction of various forms of error.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.