Thread: Aiki Taiso
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: Aiki Taiso

Almost all schools do some of the identified Aiki Tai so, but may not refer to it as such. While the main set was from Koichi Tohei and maybe influenced by shinshin toitsu do, H. kobayashi and Tada sensei also had their own system. I am not sure what they look like; I have gone looking for YouTube clips. Shioda had some similar exercises, but practiced with a partner who was allowed to grab. IMO, at least for myself, the grab informs the practice a little moreso. With no partner, a thousand little mistakes can creep in but with the partner there is a long period of refinements possible that are informed by feedback.

I am not certain Koichi Tohei's set was complete, but I learned it from a break away student of his. For example, the set has Ikkyo Undo to lift the hands up, but for every day life I do often need to bring hands down in more of a shomenuchi sword strike that was not in the set.

I did not have things explicitly called Aiki Taiso when I started, but the training did get under my skin. After a few years of training, I did indeed start doing kotegaeshi and nikyo warm ups when I had to spend a day typing or doing some repetitive hand motion. If I slip, there is only a handful of spontaneous ways that I usually fall now. Movements like koho tekubi undo and joho tekubi undo teach us to bring our hands to our center and in front of us, but so does carrying groceries or a baby for any length of time, or helping a patient to the bathroom.