View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #204
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
Not forces, per se, but moments, which depend vastly on centering, a big topic in our art. If I can increase moment by an alteration of center I can increase the force required to accelerate the structure. It is not leverage because inertial moments do not need a physical fulcrum to be effectively maniulated. Moreover, I can add moment and disrupt energy, I can reduce moment and magnify it.
Fine, but you're back to "technique". I can touch someone lightly and with jin and buckle their knees or make them fall or put them off balance, yada, yada, yada, but the converstion in the thread is about the jin.... not what you can do with it.
Quote:
When those manipulaitons are capable of energy modulation with compound square terms...
But we're talking about the baseline skills, not the "manipulation" of someone else. Hello???
Quote:
Nikkyo stops a punch...
We're talking about the baseline skills, not techniques.
Quote:
Can you show that such a system is less complicated than the model I support?
Who cares, "less complicated"? Depends on how you want to describe it. There is only one jin as a basis for the Asian martial arts. Ueshiba used it. He used the standard demo's. He talked about it with the (old) traditional terms. He moved these forces from the middle because that is the "joint" between the ground/gravity and the point of application. "How complicated" has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
I am articulating a root mechanical dynamic in Western terms but that does not conflict with other Eastern mode descriptions in holistic terms. O Sensei specifcally recommended this development in the art in scientific terms.
Yeah, you can apply an analysis to a lot of things, but that doesn't mean your analysis is correct or that its thrust is spot on. You could say that a piston engine is about rotational moment (what isn't?) or "levers and force couples" (what isn't?) and you'd be "right", but you'd miss the point.
Quote:
Mechanics is hardly all there is to aikido. A root mechanical principle is something to look for in the study of aikido, especially when talking about basic skills training such as kokyu tanden ho.
No one said mechanics is all there is to Aikido. None of us. Nowhere. We're talking about baseline skills.

Regards,

Mike Sigman