Thread: Do You Block?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #41
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Do You Block?

I have no issue with what you are saying in theory. Fighting to me is much simplier. Close the distance, achieve dominance, and finish the fight.

if you have time to block, you have time to strike. If you are off balance and the opponent has dominance (center), then you are losing the fight and you are probably blocking. If that is the case, then you must get your center back somehow and take his again (achieve dominance).

If you are evading, you are not winning the fight, you are either exiting the fight to run, or you are trying to get back your center to begin to affect your opponent center.

Once you take center, balance, (achieve dominance) you NEVER give it back, you continue on to finish the fight in some way. that might be to kill, render unconscious, or somehow convince your opponent that to continue on would not be in his best interest.

I agree with the double weighting concept. If you are double weighted you are niether committed or uncommitted, you are simply standing there!

We can talk angles, details of weight shift, position of a block all day long...however when it comes done to a real fight...not much of that really matters realitively speaking..

the winner of the fight is:

1. the guy who closes the distance, achieves dominance, and has the necessary tools/skills to finish.

2. OR, the guy whose buddy shows up first with a weapon that trumps your skills.

In my experiences....many traditional martial artist fail in real fights because they discuss in theory fighting, blocking etc. However, they discount or fail to consider the importance of concepts such as suprise, audacity, chaos, overwhelming momentum, failure of the opponent to be concerned with the punch or knife they threw/stabbed.

Many have not mastered or properly conditioned startle/flinch reflexes, or practiced moving forward into a fight once they have been struck hard, stabbed, or pepper sprayed.

That was the main point of showing the video I used. The guy who won the fight probably was a skilled martial artist of some sort, a boxer or what not. Clearly he understood the importance of moving forward into the fight, using mass and overwhelming force to achieve dominance.

Did he employ the princples of grounding? macroscopically yes. How about avoiding double weighting? Yes. Evasion? Well, that was for the losers!

Did it require years of internal martial arts practice for him to employ those theories? probably not. I am betting that guy never stepped foot in a IMA dojo! He understood some very simple concepts of winning a fight. Close distance, achieve dominance, and finish the fight.

To me it is sort of like gravity. It has been around for ever. Before Issac Newton people were still affected by it, today we have scientist that can tell us alot about it, and it is helpful when we do things like send sattelites into orbit, but in daily life, a bushmen in the jungle that has never studied physics can still stand up and walk!

that was my point, what is the relative value of spending time doing all this stuff? I personally don't think it helps out a whole bunch when it comes to fighting!