View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
Gary David

United_States
Re: Examples

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Mark.
I have a similar type of question for you to do with shihonage. The shihonage done away from or to the side of the shoulder which results in a breakfall. Do you do this?

I ask because I do not. I ruled that one out years ago. My rule is that the hand of the opponent is returned to the shoulder, in fact to the top of the shoulder. This I find far more effective also, similar to the kotegaeshi return not being away from the wrist.

Just wondering.

Regards.G.
Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi Graham,

no, we do it in a similar way to you, ukemi is taken by sliding/sinking into the mat. I have practiced the over the top ukemi, but we don't as a rule do it anymore.

I can see the older more jujitsu flavoured shiohnage being a very effective battlefield joint breaker, when done with intent. Good ukemi is the only way to avoid injury with that one....
regards,

Mark
Mark
The shihonage that I worked myself into has me drop center as I enter under the use's arm, as I turn to the outside I stay down, keeping the held wrist/hand circling out and around, with the arm brushing the top of my head as I pivot through. I keep the arm out and extended to keep uke on the edges of their feet and destabilized.... If I dropped further anytime during this motion or just pulled down it would likely result in damage. I take use's wrist/hand right back into their shoulder.....once that is reached I do what some might call a scissors cut.....stand up and bring my hands to my waist as if cutting with a boken. My center rises up as my hands/arms come down to meet. If uke has been destabilized this motion drops them right at my feet with no injuries and without giving them back their center.

Gary